Sunday, April 12, 2009

Leonard Cohen @ Nokia Theater

"The last time I was here was 15 years ago. I was 60 years old, young and full of dreams."

I was extremely surprised by this statement. He's 75. He should be, I don't know, doing what 75 year old people do. But he's touring the US, and then the world, and doing it as you would almost expect from one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time.

Leonard Cohen managed to captivate a crowd of 7,100 people for over 3 hours. He did not look tired, he did not look old. He just sang his songs, played his guitar, cracked jokes in dry humor, and hopped on and off the stage with stride. He had energy and charisma, and put on a spectacular show.

My father, who accompanied me to the show, always said that he is the one singer from that time period that has not lost his voice. I was skeptical of this statement, because of his age, and was proven wrong. Although he projects his voice as he did with most of his 80s work, many years have passed and he still sounds flawless.

The band was excellent as well, a full ensemble of accomplished musicians, all in their middle ages and to say the least professionals. You could tell they each had been playing their respective instruments for at least 30 years. Impeccable support and great solo work, my highlights include the classical guitar player and the musician playing multiple wind instruments.

Unfortunately we were told not to record shortly after we started. Hopefully this gives you a good idea of how solid Leonard's 75 year old voice sounds:



Shows like this give me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment