Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pitchforkmedia.com

I want to take a minute to talk about this website, particularly because I've spent most of my music loving days with this publication.

After discovering the website in early high school, I came to appreciate them because they loved all of the new bands I loved, agreed with me on the bands that were overrated and plain bad, recognized the greatest albums of all time, introduced me to hundreds of new albums, and most importantly filtered out a lot of the music that probably was not worth my time.

I also want to talk about the website because of this. This guy says:

"Pitchfork, as this is one of those things that used to be cool, but is now not cool"

This is dumb, and maybe the writer of this blog agrees with me, because who the fuck cares if Pitchfork is "cool." This really pissed me off. Pitchfork started out as a indie music website, gained the status of a magazine, and then turned into a multimedia music broadcasting source. They play videos, interview all of the bands we would care about, show new music before it comes out, throw their own concerts, and most notably review every new album.

They became popular 3-4 years ago, and now they're not "cool"? Their popularity is because of their strong fan base, and their strong fan base is because they gained respect from people for thoroughly covering the underground music scene.

I understand others not liking them because they are pretentious, because they are as pretentious as it gets. But my argument is that they are allowed to be pretentious. They know more about music than pretty much any other writers out there, and they have managed to dictate the music scene from the ground up. Those two qualities warrant being pretentious.

That's not to say I agree with everything they say, as with anything I will have strong opinions of my own. They have blunders, they are not always right, but as a genuine music filtering source they are the best. Nothings perfect, but most of the time they come quite close.

No comments:

Post a Comment