Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ohhhhhh Talking Heads - Remain in Light



Let's finish off my first round of posts with the remaining decade on my list-- the often unappreciated 80s. the Talking Heads were responsible for much of the great and terrible music of the era, and even much of the music today.

This album is so crisp, it sounds anything but outdated, especially on vinyl and on my new B&W's. The album is characterized by sharp percussion, quick attacking guitars (at times 2-3 at a time), funky bass lines, multiple singers harmonizing over each other with David Byrne taking the lead, and Brian Eno's production.

I love how some songs start simple, some immediately start complex, and the instruments and sounds are added and removed periodically. All throughout, a minimal yet sharp and perfect beat carry the songs, and never stop. There's much going on, but the beat carries through, and makes you move your body.

This is the fucking 80s. Let's party.

1 comment:

  1. This album made me want to claw my eyes out and up my anxiety medication.

    ReplyDelete